Wednesday, April 3, 2013

"Good Enough" crafting

Lori Gottlieb wrote a book called "Marry Him: The Case for Settling for Mr. Good Enough" in which she suggests that instead of turning down perfectly suitable partners because of some tiny flaw, we stop holding out for perfection and just find someone who's Good Enough.

I think the same concept can be applied to the crafting and sewing world.  Yes, sometimes PERFECTION is ideal or required, but all too often, we hold ourselves back because we are so busy trying for that level of perfection ALL THE TIME that we miss out on all the Good Enough we could do.

I read once in Threads magazine about a woman who won a sewing contest with a denim suit that was fully interfaced in silk organza, and lined in silk charmeuse.  Everything about this outfit, inside and out, was impeccable.  That's wonderful, and I admire her dedication and skill.  However, I don't intend to use that much silk to line the inside of a denim suit, or spend THAT much time and effort on the parts that don't really matter.  But that's just me.  I would rather have 3 Good Enough garments to show for my time than 1 AMAZINGLY crafted museum piece (that I will probably never wear because it's so special and valuable).

I will be talking about this concept a lot more in the coming weeks!

What about you?  Is Good Enough crafting for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment